Monday, February 26, 2024

Ignis Fatuus

 Would I be taken to task

if I were to ask

if an arsonist would be shamed

by a candle's brief flame? 

In a roaring bonfire, 

what is another match?

The catch is that

the great act of 

self-sacrifice is the 

pyre of future action,

the dwindling of choices

to one final

kindling of despair, 

to fare with the struggle

no more.

I do not think this is what

the great gift of our lives 

was for. 

It is not complicity to merely breathe

in a world of ashes,

and although I may grieve 

(in my own way)

I would not make an ash of myself. 

Burn not without, but within,

with motive pure,

go on with your life and yet fight.

Endure. 

2 comments:

Ali Redford said...

Thank you! I frequently say that while I'm not brave enough to set myself on fire, I have full understanding why someone would, and I feel badly sometimes that I can't take that step. This puts a better perspective on it. I still understand, but it's good to have a motivation to keep moving forward. I don't know if this is coming off correctly, so I'll stop, but this is a beautifully written piece, and I appreciate it.

Vixen Strangely said...

I understand wanting to be brave enough to sacrifice yourself for something or someone--I mean, "no greater love exists than this, that a man lay down his life for his brother" is something we've all heard. It makes sense when someone takes a bullet meant for someone else, or offers themselves as a hostage instead of another person. Parents have prayed to die instead of their sick children. You hear of stories in war of someone, for example, blowing a bridge up knowing they can't escape the blast, but by doing so, prevent an oncoming army from attacking.

A protest immolation is so much less clearcut and it is so, so tragically final. It is a commitment, to be sure, but the likelihood of saving a life by it are remote, and as an example, what can one say? It isn't a path I would encourage another to take. I think a better protest in the face of tragedy is purposeful living rather than dying. To be a loud voice, a strong voice. But not to be a martyr.