Sunday, October 29, 2023

I don't know

 I don't know if you know

that "from the river to the sea"

means not liberation

but depopulation of people

who came here to be free.

I don't know if you know

that saying something a million times

doesn't make it entirely so,

even if a little bit is. 

I don't know how people live in a prison

without knowing

who the criminals are,

and despising them first

and foremost,

for the sacrifice of the innocent,

for the demand of the humane urge

to call it liberation--even when it is just death. 

We like purpose, after all. 

the sight of a tree where no tree might be, but also could. 

The signal of hope

in a dark place. 

Sometimes I sympathize with hopeless causes, 

but I don't know

how hopelessness becomes so intrinsic

that beheaded babies feel like

something you have to argue

about instead of just not--thinking about how it isn't so

or was maybe not so bad? 

I don't know if the people

who want a solution have a solution,

holding it so close to their chest we see no outline

of anything but their disdain for the status quo. 

You know: people existing. Here and now. Rejecting

the Eternal "No."

And the people who sacrifice you

to sacrifice them? 

How they stay? I do not know. 

I only understand why they need to go. 

And why anyone would stand in that way:

I do not know. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes we can only stand helplessly by, tears in our eye ...