Monday, October 30, 2023

This Dangerous Place

 This poem is me

as if it was requests hour at the radio station

even if you are young

and don't know about request hours

or listen to the radio.

What if I dedicated my dial

(what even was a dial) to you--

you people in dangerous places,

you people with loved ones in dangerous places. 

Me and poetry are not a safe space

because I come to lyric

when time and space

don't rhyme and rifts and shifting

action spill out of tune and I

am bereft of prose because I am deep in the

"Who knows?"

And that's why I want to hold you here

where I find it dangerous to be--

you in all you are and I where I am trying to be

feeling the part where art bridges 

tragedy and fugues itself into

multipart harmony and 

something something directs a prism 

to where others try to see and witness the full spectrum

as if that was an epiphany

that could be cantilevered by poetry

as never was in prose. 

This dangerous space is for who knows

what, but I put my pen in it and like a grenade 

pull the pin out

hoping understanding 

explodes. 

No comments: