Saturday, November 12, 2011

From Vixen's Den-Under a Different Oak

Under a Different Oak

(for D.H.L.)


The dread of night is wonderful-sacred

As sunlight, forceful as wind.

Standing under the black sky, my essence

Is distilled-like a Druid,

I walk steadily on earth I cannot see,

Secure within the dark Nature.

Beneath this powerful tree, the fluid

Of my soul receives rejuvenation,

Drinking in the vital stream of a growing

Thing. I tell you I grow strong.

How do stand before me,

Sapped, your life running out?

What have you to do with the night,

You, trembling under this mistletoe,

Unkissed, whining under an oak?

I tell you the night is wonderful.

This night has a place in your histories;

This common, ageless night,

Beneath this ancient tree;

This dread-inspiring night

Has time and space enough for me-

Time enough to curse those mysteries,

Bleeding through your head,

Filling you with dread.

The dread of you and me.

No comments: